As a first step in modernising Australia’s awards the Government has released the new National Employment Standards (NES) (pdf).
The NES will come into effect on 1 January 2010.
The NES will apply to all employees in the Federal system regardless of industry, occupation or income.
The NES cover:
- Maximum weekly hours of work
- Request for flexible working arrangements
- Parental leave and related entitlements
- Annual leave
- Personal/Carer’s leave and compassionate leave
- Community service leave
- Long service leave
- Public holidays
- Notice of termination and redundancy pay
- Fair Work Information Statement