The Financial Services Royal Commission Round 4 hearings will deal with experiences with financial services entities in remote and regional communities.
It will focus on issues relating to farming finance, natural disaster insurance, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians’ interactions with financial services entities.
The insurance case studies will consider issues arising from:
- Tropical Cyclone Debbie in March 2017;
- the hail storm in Broken Hill in November 2016;
- the bushfires near Wye River in December 2015; and
- the floods in the Hunter Valley in April 2015.
Two new background papers are now also available relevant to Round 4.
• Background paper 14 – General Insurance
• Background paper 15 – Catastrophes and Natural Disasters
It is likely that case studies will include “book up” schemes and consumer leasing and the selling of funeral plans in remote communities.
Round 4 hearings will be held in two locations:
• Brisbane: Monday, 25 June – Friday, 29 June 2018
• Darwin: Monday, 2 July – Friday, 6 July 2018