From 1 January 2010, all employers covered by the national workplace relations system have an obligation to give each new employee a Fair Work Information Statement before, or as soon as possible after, the employee starts employment.
The right for new employees to receive the Statement is one of 10 minimum standards in the National Employment Standards (NES) that apply to employment of employees. Together with modern awards, the NES is a key feature of the national workplace relations system from 1 January 2010.
The Statement contains information about:
- the National Employment Standards (NES)
- the effect on an employee’s NES entitlements when there is a transfer of business
- modern awards
- agreement making under the Fair Work Act 2009
- individual flexibility arrangements
- the right to freedom of association
- termination of employment
- right of entry (including the protection of personal information by privacy laws)
- the role of the Fair Work Ombudsman and Fair Work Australia