The Department of Home Affairs has issued for consultation detailed draft guidance on the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth), explaining what is expected of companies which are required to report under the Act and publish annual Modern Slavery Statements. Background.
The draft guidance sets out:
- how to work out if your entity is required to comply with the reporting requirement;
- how to voluntarily comply with the reporting requirement and whether your entity is eligible to do so;
- how to determine when you will need to report;
- how to draft your statement, including how to respond to each of the mandatory criteria;
- how to publish your statement on the central register;
- recommendations for working with your entity’s suppliers to assess and address modern slavery risks;
- how to respond to a case of modern slavery;
- recommendations to help you respond to cases of modern slavery in Australia and overseas.